Fees and Eligibility
Eligibility for Services
All currently enrolled Virginia Tech undergraduate and graduate student who have paid the Student Health Fee are eligible for services at Cook Counseling Center. Spouses / partners (who are not enrolled VT students), other family members, faculty, staff, or alumni are not eligible. Students are not eligible in the semesters following medical withdrawal (academic relief) or in semesters that they are away from VT on academic or disciplinary suspension.
A student is appropriate for services at Cook Counseling Center (CCC) if:
· The student is enrolled in classes at Virginia Tech at the time they are seeking service and has paid the student health fee. (With the exception of situations detailed below, appointments are covered by the student health fee.)
· The presenting issues can be addressed with scope of services that are provided at the Cook Counseling Center (CCC).
· The presenting issues are appropriate for individual therapy, couples therapy, group therapy or an available skills workshop.
· The student (eligible and non-eligible) is in need of crisis management/stabilization.
· For students engaging in services via a telehealth platform, they must meet the above eligibility guidelines and are currently located in the state of Virginia during their course of treatment. Students located outside the state of Virginia, may request a consultation appointment to identity immediate coping strategies and resources for treatment in their local area.
No Show / Late Cancellation Fees
Students are charged a $25.00 no-show fee for all missed initial, individual follow-up, and continuing appointments for psychiatry and/or counseling services. This fee is charged when students cancel late or do not attend the scheduled appointment. To avoid cancellation/no show fees, students must notify the office during business hours the day before the scheduled appointment.
The majority of services for the summer will continue to be provided via telehealth. For telehealth, students must be physically located in the state of Virginia.
Students Enrolled in Summer Classes: If you are registered for summer classes, your Health Fee of $95.25 has likely been billed with your tuition payment by the Bursar's Office.
Students Not Enrolled for the Summer (but Who Were Enrolled in the Spring and Will be Enrolled again in the Fall): These students will be eligible for services, but will need to pay the Health Fee separately. This can be done by:
1) Paying by Credit Card: An email can be sent with a link to follow to process payments by credit card. Your counselor can assist you with requesting the link or students may visit or call the Schiffert Health Center Cashier at at 231-0004 or 231-6608.
2) Paying by Cash or Check: Students will need to visit the SHC Cashier’s office in McComas Hall in person to pay the Health Fee by cash or check .
3) Paying with Hokie Passport: Students may contact the SHC Cashier at 231-0004 or 231-6608 with your ID number and a Hokie Passport charge will be submitted.
Daily Use Fee: Some students may elect to pay a Daily Use Fee rather than the Summer Health Fee. That fee is $45 per day. This fee will be billed through the Bursar's Office after the appointment. If the student would like to file with their insurance for reimbursement, an itemized statement can be requested from the SHC Business Office by completing this Release of Information Form .